‘Azerbaijani Charlie Chaplin’ speaks about his family, work
22 İyun 2015, 16:30
ANN’s Jamila Ibrahimova has interviewed Uzeyir Novruzov, the "Azerbaijani Charlie Chaplin” whose performance at the "America’s Got Talent” show broke the internet.
- You were born in Ganca, which is Azerbaijan’s second largest city, and grew up in Eysk, Russia. What are your memories of Ganca and Azerbaijan in general?
- Yes, I am Azerbaijani. In 1988, my parents decided to move to Russia. I was 12 years old then. So I grew up in Eysk. Many of my close relatives and friends remained in Azerbaijan. My mother lives in Ganca. When I have time, I always try to visit Azerbaijan to see her. The last time I was in Azerbaijan was in 2013.
- As far as I know, you have three siblings. Your brother said in a recent interview that that your sister was sent to a circus studio for children and he was interested in circus after accompanying her to the studio every day. You are also an actor. Can we say you are a family of actors?
- We were four kids in the family; three brothers and a sister. Everything started with my little sister. But she later gave it up. We, all three brothers, are circus performers or actors. So, yes, you can call us a family of actors.
- You live and work in the US. Your brother Oqtay Novruzov lives in Spain. The other members of your family live in Ganca. So which country or city is your favorite place of meeting?
- Now I live and work in the US. My two brothers often travel to Europe and work there. We sometimes meet in Europe. Of course, our favorite place of meeting is our family home in Azerbaijan where my mother lives.
- As a teenager, you attended a music school. But then you ended up in a cooking school. Why did you decide to be a cook?
- I attended a music school for only a few years when I was a child. I was admitted to the cooking school after the secondary school. I went there because I loved cooking. Then I went to a circus school.
- You also graduated from the State College for Circus and Variety Arts in Russia. Which of these schools you attended did have a bigger impact on you?
- The Moscow circus school gave me more. That was where I discovered my talents. I am still using those talents.
- Your "free ladder" performance is very famous around the world. The Washington Post, the New York Times and other leading media organizations of the world wrote about you and your "free ladder" performance. You are now a famous man. Does this give you more inspiration to do the job you’re doing?
- All these media reports about me just inspire me more and give me more motivation to do better. I think such a positive publicity is something every artist dreams about.
- What did inspire you when you started your famous performance, the "free ladder”?
- I got my first inspiration right after the Moscow circus school. I had the premier of the "free ladder” performance at the Moscow Circus in Prospekt Vernadsky a week after graduation from the school.
- It is said that circus performers are fearless. Your famous performance was with a three-meter tall ladder. So, do you consider yourself a fearless man?
- The tallest ladder I have worked with was seven meters high. In circus you have to be fearless. You can't work in circus if you are coward. It is a very risky job. So, yes, I am fearless.
- What is the most difficult part of your job, your profession?
- The most difficult part of my job is to perform in an empty house because the audience and applause are really important for an artist. For me, everything is easier when I have a cheering audience.
- You are a winner of the All-Union Circus Competition. You were a member of Moscow's Bolshoi Circus. Now you work for the world-famous Cirque du Soleil. What has been your biggest achievement so far?
- Yes, I am a winner of the All-Union Circus competition in Russia. The First Big Apple Circus saw my performance at Bolshoi Moscow Circus on Vernadsky. After Big Apple Circus, Cirque du Soleil invited me. I worked at Corteo for almost ten years. I have been at Freeland for about a year now. For me, all stages are the same. The only difference is the audience. If you are a true professional, you can cope with the task before all kinds of audiences.
- Your idol Charlie Chaplin was a very famous man. Yet, he had a very difficult life. Do you compare yourself with him?
- Thanks God no. My life is not as difficult as Charlie Chaplin's. But it’s no less interesting than his life. It's just about how strong you are mentally.
- You and your brother won the hearts of the Azerbaijani audience after your performances at Russian TV show "Minuta Slavi" and American TV Show "America's Got Talent”. Do you plan to visit Azerbaijan with your "free ladder"?
- I would love to come to Azerbaijan one day and perform in front of all the Azerbaijani people.
- What would you like to say to your fans in Azerbaijan?
- First of all, I would like to thank all Azerbaijanis for their support. I also want to say this to everybody: I may have been raised in Russia. I may have traveled the world and worked abroad. Yet, it is the Azerbaijani blood that is flowing through my veins. Thank you!
00:00Today is 14th anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev's death
11:04The Azerbaijani European Studies Association was founded
13:27Azerbaijan, Pakistan to sign new deals in humanitarian sphere
11:11Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
13:41Erdoğan invites Ilham Aliyev to a meeting on Jerusalem
09:51Official Baku comments on US recognition of East Jerusalem as capital of Israel
18:04Presidential order appoints Mikayil Jabbarov the Minister of Taxes
17:06Azerbaijan becomes full member of International Committee of Military Medicine
10:03Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
18:58Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3M for reconstruction works in Sabirabad
11:17Azerbaijani defense ministry checks combat readiness of rocket and artillery units in frontline zone (PHOTO)
10:42Next ceasefire monitoring will be held on Azerbaijan-Armenia state border
11:03Armenia violates ceasefire 145 times
10:36French MFA: We don't recognize "Nagorno-Karabakh"
16:34Opens a new residential complex of Azerbaijan Air Defense Unit (PHOTOS)
13:42One terrorist detained in Tbilisi anti-terror op (PHOTO, VIDEO)
18:54Ilham Aliyev receives FIFA president and secretary general - PHOTO
10:00Azerbaijan to mark New Year with 5-day holiday
20:29President Ilham Aliyev received Russian FM
12:47Troops of Azerbaijan's Nakhchivan garrison continue activity in Command-Staff War Games (PHOTO/VİDEO)
10:02Azerbaijan celebrates National Revival Day
18:29AZN 10.1M allocated for construction of main water pipelines in Absheron
18:19Azerbaijani president allocates funds for commencement of repair works in 23 buildings
11:45Seismological Service: Aftershocks still continue after 6.0 magnitude quake in Aghdam
11:30President Ilham Aliyev visits Absheron district
10:37Armenians violated ceasefire 126 times a day
16:55AZAL and Boeing signed agreement on purchase of new modern aircrafts - PHOTO
13:17Ali Ahmadov on activities of new agency
10:00Armenians violated ceasefire 115 times a day
13:58Weather forecast in Azerbaijan for tomorrow announced
10:14Azerbaijan marks the National Flag Day - November 9
11:45President signs law making about 300 amendments to Criminal Code
18:08Solar geomagnetic activity starts - WARNING
16:47Azerbaijani Defence Minister to take part in NATO meeting
10:11Armenians violated ceasefire 133 times a day
16:56Ilham Aliyev reviews retro cars in Baku Metro (PHOTO)
11:00Brazilian FM to pay first visit to Azerbaijan
10:26Azerbaijani Foreign Minister pays an official visit to Sweden
17:36Population in Azerbaijan may get profit from solar energy
14:42Azerbaijani citizen suspected of treason detained
11 Dekabr 2017
10 Dekabr 2017
09 Dekabr 2017
07 Dekabr 2017
05 Dekabr 2017
04 Dekabr 2017
03 Dekabr 2017
30 Noyabr 2017
29 Noyabr 2017
27 Noyabr 2017
26 Noyabr 2017
23 Noyabr 2017
22 Noyabr 2017
20 Noyabr 2017
19 Noyabr 2017
17 Noyabr 2017
16 Noyabr 2017
13 Noyabr 2017
12 Noyabr 2017
11 Noyabr 2017
10 Noyabr 2017
09 Noyabr 2017
08 Noyabr 2017
07 Noyabr 2017
06 Noyabr 2017
04 Noyabr 2017